Sunday, October 28, 2007

Groundwork

So, I've created and thrown away about 15 different plots for my attempted novel. I've finally settled on one. All I will say about it is that it shares a plot arc with a song by the Police. And that it's not "Sally." As far as I can tell, the new movie Lars and the Real Girl is cribbed from that song. It's a popular thing to steal from Sting, Stewart and Andy, what with the reunion tour and all.

I have the rough idea of how the story will work, but absolutely no idea how it will resolve. I'm sort of hoping the answer appears during the writing of the thing. I have never had the attention span to write anything of this length before. Coming from a poetry writing background, it was always easy to leave threads dangling. If anything, the mystery added to the work. I don't know if you can get away with that in a novel. Certainly not to the extent that I am used to.

No comments: